15 best things that have happened in the last three weeks. In no particular order.
15.Thunder and lightning storms. I don't even care that my plans are rained out here if I get to experience these kind of storms! The thunder is SO loud and intense here and the rain actually pours. I just sit and watch them. No more Utah-sprinkler-make-your-car-dirtier pansy storms for me!
14.World Cup games!!!
13.Body Worlds in Denver with new friends.
12.Realizing that I have my first unmarried girl friend in Colorado. Lindsay is fun and a perfect wing-woman who can hold her own. I am so happy to have met her!
11.Getting surprise phone calls from friends I miss, namely Veda, Melissa, Nater, Danielle.
10.Last minute late night movie theatre trip with Dana and Marina, the cute 17 year old that is living with us for a bit. Eating too much candy and laughing and giggling like WE were 17 too.
9.Being told by Marina that I am gorgeous. And smart. And talented. Who would have thought it would mean more coming from her?
8.Working!!! I cannot express how much I love being at Ashby Dental. I couldn't feel more at home there and I love everyone I work with. It is incredible how easy working seems after how hard school was!
7.Getting paid.
6.YSA conference. I had never been to one before and me and a couple friends went. It was great to be uplifted on a Saturday! ;)
5.Realizing that I CAN deal with diaper disasters and kid messes and throw up. And that means getting thrown up ON. I am invincible!
4.Four wheeling and hiking up at Devil's Head.
3.Buffalo Wild Wings night watching the Celtics and Lakers, topped off with the hot tub. Oh, and actually EATING buffalo wings and not getting grossed out by the skin.
2.Answering tons of questions about the church for my coworker Gina. It's only a matter of time before I talk to her about the Book of Mormon and I can't wait.
1.Becoming best friends with Kris, my LDS dental school buddy. We are practically inseparable now, and despite his studying for boards, still see each other constantly. Did I mention he is extremely handsome and very eligible? Maybe this one IS in the correct order at number one.
As a HUGE part of what I am doing is being a hygienist, I just wanted to share some awesome patient moments that made me feel so good. :)
Patient #1: Deep cleaning patient. In pain. Give first few injections and I ask if he is doing okay. Patient says, in awe, that he has never had such painless injections and that I am amazing. After the cleaning he says that I was so great, and even tells the front desk girls later what a great hygienist I am. Spread the word please!
Patient #2: Four year old girl comes in for her first appt ever. GRINS the entire time. I loved it. Got to visit with Mom the whole time and turns out she hasn't been in for 2 years and needs deep cleaning. When we go to the front desk, Mom specifically asks to be scheduled with me. :)
Patient #3: My very up front, blunt patient. First refused xrays, asks for the TV off cuz its not his thing, and seems easily put off. I ask him about himself and we have an awesome conversation about things to do in Denver. He is super excited to give me ideas. I teach him brushing techniques and he tells me how appreciative he is to know these things. He also says that he feels comfortable telling me he only brushes once a day because I am his friend. Aw. Expresses how knowledgeable I am. After he leaves, Gina at the front desk tells me he said he LOVED me. YES!
Generic patient #infinity: This one is the one that expects Joan, the retiring RDH and when they see me, they are kind of put off. I kill them with kindness and they turn from grouchy to happy by the time they leave. So far I've turned them all into team Erin fans! :)
So yes, every new RDH out there is terrified that patients won't like her, that she won't be as gentle as she needs to be, that she will leave school and turn into a total spaz, etc, etc. Receiving confirmation that things are going well is the best thing I could ever ask for. Specifically...Megan, THIS is why I am having a great week.
Erin, loved this. I'm happy for you!
ReplyDeleteI love you Ernie!!! So happy you are here and things are going so great for you!!!
ReplyDeleteI am SO glad you had such a fabulous week!!! It sounds like Denver is the perfect place for you and you are being really blessed! I bet it feels good to be validated, especially when you are starting out. And I am glad you are making friends (especially good looking friends in dental school!). Love ya sweetie!
ReplyDelete