This is the story of a single, newly christened dental hygienist and her new life in Denver, Colorado.
Thursday, September 2, 2010
The teeth of a murderer...
A couple of weeks ago I was able to clean the teeth of Vincent, a department of corrections prisoner with Colorado State. He committed murder approximately 24 years ago and has been in prison ever since. When I pulled up to the building and saw the corrections van in front my heart started to race. That is about as nervous as I got. From then on my feelings were just excited. I was going to get a chance to do something not many hygienists can say they’ve done! When Vincent and his two armed guards came in the door and Vincent grinned, I knew it was all going to be okay. I can honestly say that I saw light in his face. It was a lot of fun to work on Vincent. The guards were smiley and funny, and so was Vincent. We talked about Colorado thunderstorms, the Rockies, his dogs that he trains and other stuff. I did a full mouth series of xrays and an deep cleaning on him. It was a good morning. Despite the fact that he was in an orange jumpsuit and shackled on his hands and feet, I was very at ease. Every time he moved though he clanged a bit. What a cool experience. I actually made Vincent laugh quite a bit. And that one hour of my time made me $350. Ah yeah. Not too shabby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's CRAZY!! How did you get that gig?
ReplyDeleteDr. Ashby was called by this patient's mom and we agreed to see him. Not many offices would do this. And I just got to be the lucky hygienist! :) And don't worry, as soon as I finish making my valences tomorrow I will put pictures up. :)
ReplyDelete