Thursday, May 20, 2010

What's this brave stuff about?

Let's start out with some background. I am 29 and single. That coupled with the fact that I am leaving Utah has created some pretty strong objections across my social circles. Apparently you are a complete moron if you even THINK you can get married once you leave the state at such an age. I remember telling myself years ago that if I was still single when I was 'older' I would leave Utah. I never believed that by leaving I would subject myself to singleness forever and an abnormal interest in cats. Quite the opposite in fact. Even years ago, I knew that I wanted to prove critics wrong.

Ironically most of the weird looks I get come from singles. My awesome married friends think it is the greatest idea ever. "Lucky her, going on an adventure!" In fact, most of my fellow graduated hygienist friends that are tied down here expressed their jealousy. See, there ARE perks to still being single!

Now on to why I chose my blog title. There have been a couple girls who have said some pretty neat things to me this past week. Both of them are in my ward, and when girl A found out that I was moving on Saturday, she started asking me all these questions, telling me how amazing and brave I was and how she was jealous. She even said that I inspired her. Ha. Inspired eh? :) She said that she totally looked up to me and I joked that I was paving the way for all single girls to get up the guts to move from Provo. Now onto comment from girl B - posted on my facebook wall... "I'm so glad I ran into you...I'm suddenly feeling all kinds of motivated. On behalf of all of the girls still in Provo, thank you for lighting a fire under us--look out world, here we come! ;) Good luck in Denver, Erin, AMAZING things are in store for you~xoxo"

That makes a girl feel pretty good. And brave. I leave on Saturday. :)

6 comments:

  1. As the father of this "brave girl" I am so proud of and impressed with her. She is hereby formally designated by me as no longer a girl but now becomes to the world a powerful, motivated and educated woman. She is capable of accomplishing anything she sets her mind to. Denver and the young men who live there, may not be ready for this dynamic and acomplished personality but they are in for an opportunity to see the best a person can be. Sorry for my biased ramblings but she IS my little girl. XOXO Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin- Im so excited for you- I hope Denver is ready to meet an amazing woman!! You are going to have so much fun there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people have this false opinion that only good things can happen to singles IN Provo. That anywhere else, there just aren't enough LDS singles to make anything happen. I'm living proof that this is false. The truth is that God can make miracles happen WHEREVER you are and thousands and tens of throusands of LDS singles find their eternal companions without even stepping foot in Provo. God knows where we are, what we need, and is not going to withhold blessing just becasue we change our place of residence. I'm so excited for you Erin! Denver is going to be a great adventure for you! I can't wait to hear about the drive out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You truly are a very brave woman! And i agree with dad, Watch out men, here comes a BAILEY GIRL! I look up to you so much! I only hope i can get the gumption to make exciting positive life choices like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you SO much to my family and friends who are so supportive of me. I love you all so much and just thinking of you makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh no...please don't get a cat...

    ReplyDelete