Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Friends are relatives you make for yourself.

"Yes'm, old friends is always best, 'less you can catch a new one that's fit to make an old one out of."

Sometimes I look at little kids and wish I had their knack for making friends. It just seems to easy. Moving to a brand new place with pretty much only married friends as your friends can be kind of nerve wracking. I decided that I was going to feign complete confidence where ever I go. Maybe I won't ACT like a 6 year old.

I can honestly say that I have four new friends here. I was lucky enough to make a couple contacts when I was out here visiting last August. I met two soon to be dental school duders at church and when I realized I'd be coming out to Colorado for sure I dug up their information. Zack and Nate were their fake names and they also had their fellow LDS dental friend Kris add me on facebook. The day after I arrived I was invited out to dinner with the three boys at their married LDS dental friend's place. Yes, this place has LDS dentists everywhere you look. It was great to finally get to know my facebook dental friends. I even got through a superbly awkward situation where the not quite one year old daughter tried to feed her baby doll on me if you know what I mean. All three boys saw and I cannot recall a time I have laughed harder. Of course you are curious...are any of these boys cute? All cute, but one stood out...Kris. Another thank you to facebook, this one wrote me later and decided we should go to Wednesday institute together. SCORE!

Institute was awesome. They do it right out here. Kris and I got to know each other really well and talked a long time afterward. Too bad Kris and Nate were both leaving for a week and a half, until the 6th, starting the next day. I was already stoked on Kris though, so perhaps it was good he get out of the picture for a while. ;)

I braved Maplewood ward in Denver on Sunday and made two friends Kelly and Dustin. Kelly and I talked a lot and turned out she knows the dental boys. She is leaving for three weeks though. Bummer. Looks like my friend making is gonna be a slow progression, but I was proud of myself after one week.

Monday was supposed to hold more fun. Hiking with Zack and some of his friends, then a BBQ. I was super excited. Too bad I decided to toss my cookies at 3:30am. Kinda put an end to my Memorial plans.

I am not ashamed to admit I am looking forward to June 6th.

1 comment:

  1. I like that quote! I am so happy you are making friends. I know how nerve racking that can be. But, being the social butterfly you are, I am sure you will have full weekends from here on out! :)

    ReplyDelete